cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

encapsulation on Ethernet and ethernet subinterfaces.

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hello,

I just want to creat subinterface on ethernet and also want some encapsulation detail of ethernet port and also which IOS support suinterface on ethernet port. so please help me...

regards

devang

4 Replies 4

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

The encapsulation on your sub interface will either be dot1q or isl with the number of the vlan the sub interface is suppose to be associated with.

Second can you please give us a little more information on what your going to be connecting to and what you currently have.

You can use dot1q or isl encapsulation for a majority of Cisco switchs. Some Cisco switchs only support dot1q for trunking so make sure you check. If your connecting to a differnt vendors switches you'll have to use dot1q.

If you can post more about your situation we can help with example configs, even better if you post your config it'll be easier for us to help.

Patrick

hello,

I am having 25xx series router connected to nonmanagable switch, my isp connection and local hosts are also connected to same switch as i am having only one ethernetport on router i am planing to creat two subinterface and i will assing ip address which is provided by my isp to one subinterface and will assign local lan ip address to other interface then i will nat betweent this two interface so i can provide internet connection to all my host.....

so is it possible if yes then give me explanation???

and if its is not the what is the requirement for that??? and i also want to learn about ethernet subinterfaces on cisco router and encapsulation so give me good links ....

regards

devang

Devang,

I'm sorry but unfortunatly without being able to connect to a switch capable of being managed and supporting dot1q or isl you won't be able to put two subinterfaces on a router and be able to use them the way you want to.

Second I don't even think a 2500 series router supports trunking, I know it gives you the options of creating subinterfaces but it really dosn't let you configure it that way.

Patrick

HTH please rate any posts that were useful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card