cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Encapulation failed using BRI0.

kswonnell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with configuration of Cisco 876 router.

I just cannot make him connect to remote site on BRI interface or via Dialer. Either interface reults with 'Encapsulation failed'. I have used standard configurations for this, as attached. Please help me understand this error.

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

First of all, from the info provided it is not possible to check that a successfull dialing attempt has been made.

Making sure that this is ok would be the first step. The "encapsulation failed" messages are likely due to this fact.

For this, establish a constant ping to a destination that can be reached via the dialer.

Then only use the following debug commands:

deb dialer

deb ppp neg

About your config:

You seem to have used both old and new methods, the old one being to put the dialer config on the corresponding interface.

The recommended solution is to use dialer interfaces.

Make your bri0 a member of dialer-pool 1 and have the dialer using this pool for calls.

Remove most of the config on the bri interface and put it on the dialer instead.

Also, do not attempt to use callback before the rest is working properly. You can then start more comfortably with is from a working situation.

regards,

Leo

Thanks Leo.

Have taken you advice and new config attached.

We find now that he line doesn't come up at all. We tried ping telnet and snmp.

Debug q.931 shows nothing. q.921 is fine.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Kevin

To specify, for a dialer interface, which dialing pool to use to connect to a specific destination subnetwork, use the dialer pool interface configuration command.

You seem to be missing the interface-command:

" dialer pool 1 "

under your dialer 1 configuration

Please add this command and retry. ;-)

regards,

Leo

When trying to input 'dialer pool 1' as above, we get

'Highways(config-if)#dialer pool 1

%Remove Legacy DDR Configuration first'

which means removing the 'dialer map' statement.

Please advise.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: