Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Encryption between Switch ports

Hi Guys,

I have requirement where in i need to set up encryption between two systems connected to a switch. Is there any possible way to achieve this in any cisco switch.

I would appreciate if some one could share some ideas or recomendations wrt my requirement.

Regards,

S K

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Encryption between Switch ports

jonnydeep08 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have requirement where in i need to set up encryption between two systems connected to a switch. Is there any possible way to achieve this in any cisco switch.

I would appreciate if some one could share some ideas or recomendations wrt my requirement.

Regards,

S K

SK

Not with switches. You should probably look at software that can be used on the machines themselves eg. could you ssh for example to tunnel everything ?

But switches don't do this sort of thing.

Jon

Hello,

Jon, your reply is correct, but I just want to understand something from user's question:

"I have requirement where in i need to set up encryption between two 
systems connected to a switch"

If you have 2 devices connected through a switch, but the devices that need encryption are those 2 end devices, then the switch doesn't need to have any ideea about encryption protocols, but only that 2 devices. Switch will be just a device in the middle forwarding traffic from and to your devices.

I hope you understand what point is not clear to me.

Regarding Cisco switch and encryption, see Jon's excellent reply!

Calin

thanks for replying Jon/Calin, my requirement is to have encryption between to 2 end systems connected to a switch and i was expecting some work around in similar lines to IPSEC VPN and was just wondering if there is any advance security  feature set avialable in cisco IOS which can be helpful to achieve this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content