Views
Helpful
Replies

Equivalent of DTP and VTP

sugatada9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know is there any equivalent protocol, with other vendor like Juniper or Alcatel Lucent,  which does the same job like Cisco proprietary DTP and VTP in the switching environment?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The only open protocol that comes to my mind is the IEEE 802.1ak Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP) that would be capable of providing services similar to VTP, but quite honestly, I do not know if these vendors support it. Support for 802.1ak on Cisco switches is low to none (some switches did support its predecessor called GVRP). As for DTP, I do not know of any open alternative.

For VLAN management, there is an option of managing them through SNMP, and perhaps that is, for the time being, the only truly inter-vendor-compatible approach, provided - of course - you use the right MIBs for appropriate vendors.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The only open protocol that comes to my mind is the IEEE 802.1ak Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP) that would be capable of providing services similar to VTP, but quite honestly, I do not know if these vendors support it. Support for 802.1ak on Cisco switches is low to none (some switches did support its predecessor called GVRP). As for DTP, I do not know of any open alternative.

For VLAN management, there is an option of managing them through SNMP, and perhaps that is, for the time being, the only truly inter-vendor-compatible approach, provided - of course - you use the right MIBs for appropriate vendors.

Best regards,
Peter

Thank you Peter !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card