Views
Helpful
Replies

Erasing flash memory on active router?

Darren Preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon all.

In a nut shell I have purchased a 2801 router running CME from someone.  When i show the contents of the flash memory there are over 100 files.  I appreciate the *.bin file for the IOS and the *.tar file for installation of CME are required however some of the rest appear to be surplus to requirement.  I would like to configure the router from scratch so i have a question:

- Can i copy the contents of the FLASH to a TFTP server

- erase the FLASH

- copy the IOS.BIN and CME.TAR files back from the TFTP server to the FLASH

- carry on as normal

or by erasing the flash on a router that is in use am i likely to end up a mess of tears sat in the corner with a 2801 paperweight of a router?

Thank you very much.

I am sure I can however I need a little reassurance.

Many thanks community,

Daz

CCNA, CCNA (Voice),
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shanilkumar2003
Level 1
Level 1

Hi darren, you can directly delete the files directly from the flash and keep pnly the needed files. Delete the files from flash using delete flash:

Another way you can copy the needed files to tftp then etase flash and copy back the ios and needed files from tftp. If you erase the files with erase command you cant retrieve back the files. Hopes this helps you

Thanks
Shanil

***Please rate helpful posts***

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

shanilkumar2003
Level 1
Level 1

Hi darren, you can directly delete the files directly from the flash and keep pnly the needed files. Delete the files from flash using delete flash:

Another way you can copy the needed files to tftp then etase flash and copy back the ios and needed files from tftp. If you erase the files with erase command you cant retrieve back the files. Hopes this helps you

Thanks
Shanil

***Please rate helpful posts***

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you very much Shanil,

I know about the deleting flash: however i can't find a documented way to perform a recursive delete.  Your second suggestion is the method I will be trying.  I have already created a tar file containing the entire contents of the flash and have backed that up to the TFTP server.

Thank you for your reply

Daz

CCNA, CCNA (Voice),

CCNA, CCNA (Voice),
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card