cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Error while upgrading IOS says READ only

Hi,

i get an error message"copy tftp: flash:

%Destination file system is read-only". while upgrading the IOS on my Cisco 2503 router, also when i verified the show flash it says READ ONLY, how to make it as READ/WRITE?

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Error while upgrading IOS says READ only

The 2500 runs its code directly from the flash and that's the reason it's set to RO. In order to upgrade the IOS, you must boot into ROM.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks

how du i du that, wattz the proceedure?

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Hall of Fame Super Gold

It is certainly true that the 2500 series routers are run from flash routers and that makes the flash read only in normal operation. And certainly one way to upgrade the IOS is to boot to rommon (or even better to boot to rxboot) which will make flash read/write and allow the image file to be replaced.

But Cisco provided the Flash Load Helper feature to work around that aspect of operations. I am surprised that FLH did not kick in and do the upgrade. The FLH should prompt for the parameters of tftp host, new image name and then did the boot to rxboot in the background.

The original post show the command as copy tftp: flash:. I wonder if the colon affected things since the old 2500 code did not use them. I wonder if you just enter copy tftp flash (omit the :) if FLH would work and make this operation more simple.

HTH

Rick

Silver

Yes, it is an old style to upgrade the IOS. Please do remember to save the config (e.g. wr mem) then type "copy tftp flash" then follow the instruction is fine.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content