Views
Helpful
Replies

Establish BGP adj across a router in bridge mode

Carl King
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a DS3 terminated on a 3825 with bridging configured with all interfaces in the same bridge group.The DS3 is frame-relay leading to my BGP neighbor.

I'm unable to get BGP established across the bridge. Frame is up and I can ping from BGP router 1 to the carrier neighbor.

BGP-over-bridge.JPG

The reason we want to do this is so we can have a failover router running BGP on this same single MPLS line.

I suspect it has to do with unicast forwarding but since BGP uses Unicast but I can't find where to enable this. I've tried ebgp-multihop but that gets no joy.

Ideas?

Carl King

3 Replies 3

tomek0001
Level 4
Level 4

Can you share your interfaces and BGP config? Hard to say without that.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

The basics are in the drawing, but here you go.

## Router MPLS-DS3

int g0/0

no ip address

bridge-group 1

int g0/1

no ip address

bridge-group 1

interface Serial0.100 point-to-point

no ip address

frame-relay interface-dlci 100 ietf

bridge-group 1

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge irb

## Router BGP router 1

ip routing

int g0/0

ip address 2.2.2.1 255.255.255.252

router bgp 64600

neighbor 2.2.2.2 remote-as 65000

neighbor 2.2.2.2 default-originate

Again, 2.2.2.2 is pingable from 2.2.2.1, frame pvc is up.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl, my apologies the iPad app does not show images that's why I couldn't see you diagram.

I would check few things. See what IP address BGP is using to connect with the command "show tcp brief" and look for any port 179 source IP. Make sure these match on your bgp neighbors.

Because of the frame relay you might need eBGP multihop, might want to check that.

One other thing I would try is use this command on the FR " frame-relay map bridge 100".

If anything fails, "debug ip bgp events" or "debug ip packet (acl)" with the acl of tcp port 179.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card