Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel across WAN - problem

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to configure etherchannel across two 1 Gig EOSDH WAN links between our two datacenters , the problem that I am facing is when I try to configure LACP mode active Active the line protocol on one of the links goes down , the other link has no problems. The moment I hardcode it to mode "ON" etherchannel works. It seems that the provide is unable to forward LACP frames across the WAN circuit. Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong with the service provider that could block specific frames ?

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Umesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shamax_1983
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Umesh,

I don't think there's anythig wrong with the ISP's side. I believe that LACP support needs to be enabled specifically on the the ports at ISP side..  which you may need to request from them. ( at least this is the case with 802.1q tunneling )

Check with your ISP and get them to enable this feature

Please rate helpful answers

Shamal

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

shamax_1983
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Umesh,

I don't think there's anythig wrong with the ISP's side. I believe that LACP support needs to be enabled specifically on the the ports at ISP side..  which you may need to request from them. ( at least this is the case with 802.1q tunneling )

Check with your ISP and get them to enable this feature

Please rate helpful answers

Shamal

Any body out with results ??

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay , it finally turned out to be a problem with the service provider. The LACP messages specifically were not allowed to travel across the SP path. When the etherchannel was hardcoded at both ends it worked but would not work if set to active. Finally the SP changed a MUX card (which they said was the problem) and the problem was resolved.

Thanks to all who took time out and gave your inputs

Regards

Umesh Shetty

Hello

What router/switch model and IOS are you using as on some ios you like nx-os may need to enable LACP

conf t
feature lacp

Also try setting one side to passive and the other to active  and then vice versa- this way you may be able t establish is one of  DC routers/switch support LACP

Lastly can you post the running config of the ether-channels and statistics

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card