Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel module

rhltechie
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I need another fast ether int on my 2800 series router. I found the HWIC-4ESW on cisco's site. I notice that it says " Layer 2 Ethernet switches with Layer 3 routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host, and is not actually performed at the switch.)."

I understand basically what this means, but does it at all mean that I will have issues placing an ip address on the interfaces as this is L3?

TIA,

R

5 Replies 5

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

the HWIC-4ESW requires you to configure inter-VLAN routing on the 2800 router (the host). So, basically, you put the FastEthernet interface into a VLAN, and then you configure a VLAN interface on the router, similar to the following example:

interface FastEthernet0/0/1

switchport access vlan 10

!

interface Vlan10

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

You cannot directly put an IP address on the interfaces of the HWIC-4ESW, since these are layer 2 interfaces only. Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GNT

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

the 4 faste interfaces/port on HWIC-4ESW are layer 2 ports meaning they are switchports you can enable routing by creating an SVI or interface vlan associated to the vlans assigned to those ports. I do not have the exact IOS version but there is an IOS version where the 4 switcports can also be a L3 interface much like an interface on 3550 or 3750 when you do a "no switchports" and assign an IP address that essetailly make that interface/potr a L3 interface. so, all in all I do not see any issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html

Please rate helpful posts.

Is there an easier way for me to add L3 ports to my router?

I did not do a thorough search on CCO but it does not look like you have many choices and the 4ESW will give you a lot of port density and it's supported for certain on 28xx.

Please rate helpful posts.

It looks as though the hwic only supports L3 by being assigned to a SVI. I have not done this, but I am assuming how this works is you create a vlan int on the router and then assign the port to a specific vlan. does this function exactly as having the ip directly on the int?

TIA,

R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card