Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Etherchannel module

hi All,

I need another fast ether int on my 2800 series router. I found the HWIC-4ESW on cisco's site. I notice that it says " Layer 2 Ethernet switches with Layer 3 routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host, and is not actually performed at the switch.)."

I understand basically what this means, but does it at all mean that I will have issues placing an ip address on the interfaces as this is L3?

TIA,

R

5 REPLIES

Re: Etherchannel module

Hello,

the HWIC-4ESW requires you to configure inter-VLAN routing on the 2800 router (the host). So, basically, you put the FastEthernet interface into a VLAN, and then you configure a VLAN interface on the router, similar to the following example:

interface FastEthernet0/0/1

switchport access vlan 10

!

interface Vlan10

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

You cannot directly put an IP address on the interfaces of the HWIC-4ESW, since these are layer 2 interfaces only. Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GNT

the 4 faste interfaces/port on HWIC-4ESW are layer 2 ports meaning they are switchports you can enable routing by creating an SVI or interface vlan associated to the vlans assigned to those ports. I do not have the exact IOS version but there is an IOS version where the 4 switcports can also be a L3 interface much like an interface on 3550 or 3750 when you do a "no switchports" and assign an IP address that essetailly make that interface/potr a L3 interface. so, all in all I do not see any issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html

Please rate helpful posts.

Is there an easier way for me to add L3 ports to my router?

I did not do a thorough search on CCO but it does not look like you have many choices and the 4ESW will give you a lot of port density and it's supported for certain on 28xx.

Please rate helpful posts.

It looks as though the hwic only supports L3 by being assigned to a SVI. I have not done this, but I am assuming how this works is you create a vlan int on the router and then assign the port to a specific vlan. does this function exactly as having the ip directly on the int?

TIA,

R

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content