cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel on Nexus between different line cards

plantowski
Level 1
Level 1

Is the following etherchannel scenario even possible? On one end ports on a single Nexus 7000 switch split between 2 different line cards, a M series 10G line card and an F series 10G/1G line card and the other end a 3750X stack or a 4500 switch. Or, M series 1G and F Series 10G/1G on one end and a 3750X stack or 4500 on the other end. If this is possible does the M series 10G port have to be in dedicated mode or can it be shared?

Does anyone have a similar setup in place that's working?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sounds good

and about the performance it wont be problem sinc eyou are aware and if the F in L2 faster but you are ok with M performace then wont be an issue i think

hope this help

pls rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ok first of all

you need to have both links using same speed 10 or 1 G

for the M and F if you runing the etherchannel as L2 only it won't be a problem and it is better to distribute the links over differnt line card however there are some differences in terms of L2 performance between M and F modules !

if you want to use L3 ether channel then here will be a problem because F series dose not support L3 and it has to go to the M line card for routing and come back for forwarding and this case need a careful design

hope this help

if helpful Rate

Thank you marwanshawi, to clarify, these would be L2 only. I realize that the F series does not support L3. I would of course configure the same speed on both ends. I've only mentioned F series "10G/1G" because the line card supports both.

We are considering the purchase of the F series line cards to provide some uplink redundancy for the already exisiting M series 10G and 1G line cards. Purchasing the same additional M series 10G and 1G line cards would of course be perfect but it would not be cost effective for us.

I also know that there are L2 performance differences between the M and F series, would that cause any problems, has someone actually faced a similar scenario and got this to work?

Thanks

sounds good

and about the performance it wont be problem sinc eyou are aware and if the F in L2 faster but you are ok with M performace then wont be an issue i think

hope this help

pls rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card