Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet vs Serial

jeffbriones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I just want to ask how different ethernet connection to serial connection (v.35) in terms of data rate and connection speed. I just found out that after changing my connection to the router from ethernet to serial connection, degrades my connection speed .

jeff

7 Replies 7

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It depends on the speed of the serial line. Ethernet is 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps, serial is typically between 64 Kbps and 2 Mbps.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin,

How would i know the capability of my serial connection ?

Thanks.

jeff

your serial connection will not be more than 2Mb...unless it's a highSpeedSerial (HSSI).

use the show interface command to view the serial interface. check the bytes in/out rates.

if you can perform a big copy across the link of say 100MB or more, you can view these interface statistics and watch as they increment. eventually, with enough data, they will reach their maximum rate. (unless restricted by other means)

Jeff

show controller serial may give you the clock rate of the interface. If it does not then I am not aware of any reliable way to determine this from the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi guys,

Does clockrate determine the data rate that can pass thru? Im using back to back serial connection and i want this connection to have higher speed. How can i achieve this ?

tnx.

jeff

If you are using back to back that is the command that sets the rate. I do not think there is a default.

It depends on the interface and the router but some of the serial interface can be set to 8m. There are lots of restriction when you set them above 2m so make sure you read the doc for the interface card. I am assuming you are not using cards with build in csu/dsu since I don't think you can set the clock on those.

Hi,

I check the interface and it has up to 8M. I tried changing the clockrate on my DCE and the data rate increases. Its the clockrate then.

tnx.

jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card