Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Extended Ping Question

I'm troubleshooting what I believe to an EIGRP  issue. After some research I came across Cisco's EIGRP Tshooting document. One of the items is 

"can you successfully ping between neighbors with packet sizes up to the interface MTU size" Both sides are set to 1500 bytes and I just wanted to make sure I'm using the extended ping correctly. Below is my output. I know you can get pretty in depth with the extended ping commands but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something for my basic test. I thinks it's an EIGRP issue as the circuit dropped and when I look at the logs I get the following.

Jul 24 16:54:11.062: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 101: Neighbor 10.x.x.1 (Serial0/1/0:0) is down: holding time expired
*Jul 24 16:54:17.930: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 101: Neighbor 10.x.x.1 (Serial0/1/0:0) is up: new adjacency

Site A#ping
Protocol [ip]:
Target IP address: 10.x.x.1 (this is the other side of the T1)
Repeat count [5]:
Datagram size [100]: 1500
Timeout in seconds [2]:
Extended commands [n]: y
Source address or interface: 10.x.x.2 
Type of service [0]:
Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
Validate reply data? [no]:
Data pattern [0xABCD]:
Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
Sweep range of sizes [n]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 1500-byte ICMP Echos to 10.x.x.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of 10.x.x.2
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 40/42/44 ms

Thanks for any help

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

You'll probably also want to also set the DF bit.

BTW, later IOS versions can take some of the extended commands with the ping command.

e.g. ping 10.x.x.x size 1500 df

CreatePlease to create content