Views
Helpful
Replies

Extra Hop Causing Issues

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

(Diagram Attached) - I had an issue where if somone on Site A tried to RDP to someone on Site B, and vice versa, it fails - although IP connectivity is OK. Each can ping one another.

After running some traceroutes the issue was because of an extra hop when someone from Site A went to Site B.

From Site A to Site B the packet went from 17.16.5.5, then to the Core Switch, then to router 172.16.5.6.

From SIte B to Site A the packet goes straight from 172.16.5.6 to router 172.16.5.5.

So basically data travelling one way was taking an extra hop to go back the other, causing a lot of things to not work, although ICMP was good.

Is this normal behaviour for such things not to work if an extra hop is introduced somehow?It was easy enough to fix, but doesn't seem right that it would break things when there was working IP connectivity...

6 Replies 6

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I don't think one extra hub would cause the issue. I would check things like ACL, make sure no interface is blocking port for RDP; the MTU size, make sure it won't drop RDP packet that has DF bit set.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Also check if there is any stateful device, like fw, load balancer, wan optimizer in between. Those devices won't work with asymmetric flow.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

There is an ASA (in transparent mode) running IPS only. Would this cause problems with asymetric routing?

Hello

Just like to add from Lei comments - Is RDP enabled on these devices for remote connection to be allowed- ( like software FW etc)

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Please place the ASA on the diagram.

inspect the

show conn det long

output while opening RDP

Any update? Is it solved?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card