Helpful
Replies

F0/0 interface parameter ....???????

afzaalq007
Level 1
Level 1

hi

below is my F0/0 interface config..

please suggets me if any thing more which i can add in it. becos under my router i m using my C3750

plz check and suggets for perfection

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.240 secondary

ip address a.a.a.a 255.255.255.240 secondary

ip address b.b.b.b 255.255.255.224 secondary

ip address c.c.c.c 255.255.255.224

duplex auto

speed auto

Thanks and regards

3 Replies 3

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

depending on what you want to achieve, the config looks ok. Just be aware that there are a couple of caveats regarding secondary addressing such as that OSPF won't form adjacencies with secondary addresses.

If you just want to achieve extended connectivity for more than one subnet, the config is ok.

Regards,

GNT

hi

Thanks for the Ans

I have using static routes for all my subnets to connect each other,

Thanks

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi afzaalq...

your configuration is okay... but first of all check it out your requirement for the configuring the secondary ip address to the interface... because in some cases secondary IP addresses are not usefull ...condition like...

problems,

if any, with secondary addresses occur mainly in conjunction with routing protocols, such as OSPF, which cannot establish adjacencies on secondary addresses. Other than that, you can add as many as the software allows you to. I guess the reason why multiple secondary addresses are being used, rather than multiple logical interfaces, is that you do not have to bother with trunking, inter-VLAN routing etc. when using secondary addressing. It is just a simple way of being able to add more hosts. I would be careful, though, to not add to many hosts, since that, and especially with regard to VoIP, can cause problems with delay and dropped packets, which VoIP usually doesn't handle very well.

so please first of all check out your requirement...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card