cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover configuration

Rupesh Kashyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have three routers- WAN-1, 2 and CLIENT. Both WAN1 & 2 have 4 T1 links (configured as multilink) & are connected with CLIENT. WAN-1 &2 are connected with one internal switch also. We are running EIGRP all four devices.

WAN-1 to CLIENT is primary link and WAN-2 to CLIENT is failover link. The problem is whenever 2 out of 4 T1 on WAN-1 is down, traffic is not shifted to WAN-2 to CLIENT. How can I configure it as automated failover.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rupesh,

Is there a link between WAN-1 and WAN-2?

Reza

WAN-1 & 2 are internally connected.

Hi Rupesh

Can you post a detailed schematic diagram of the scenario you are talking here? also can you post the configurations of the routers as well ?

regds

HI, I have attached the diagram. I am running EIGRP on all routers including L3Switch (6500 series). I have four links betweeen WAN-1 & CLIENT which is part of single multilink. Same thhing is with WAN-2 & CLIENT.

I am looking for automated failover if link between WAN-1 & CLIENT fails. The problem is, we have 4 links in one multilink and automated failover only happenes if either all four links would down or multilink will down.

How can I build the automated failover.

Can you tell me what's the mechanism you are using to make Wan1 as primary and Wan 2 as secondary?

As far as i know when the links goes down in a bundle the bandwidth of the bundle (multilink) tends to decrease based on the remaining links which all are up.

regds

Currently, I have blocked CLIENT route on WAN-2 so that WAN-1 would be primary from L3Switch. My target is that, when two links of WAN-1 will down, then only it should be routed to WAN-2. How is it possible?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: