cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover to a second site w/ Internet

hambyg
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all. This scenario is conceptually simple but I'm not sure how to achieve it. A client with a local Internet T1 would like to be able to utilize an Internet T1 at their other location if the local T1 fails. The two sites are connected by a point to point T1, Cisco 1720 routers, and each site has a local Internet T1. At the location I'm working with, the Internet T1 is connected to an Adtran device that is itself a router. That device then connects to a Pix 515e, which in turn connects to the internal router with the point to point T1 back to the other site. How would the router behind the PIX even know if the Internet was unavailable?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

5 Replies 5

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

AFAIK PIX can listen to RIP updates and can inject default routes to the inside but not from Outside to Inside. So I think you can rule out Routing Protocols. Probably, you can try any of the tracking mechanims available in Cisco routers( Enhanced Object tracking). But please do double check on the RIP routing updates

Thanks. I will double check the RIP for PIX.

stackhbj1
Level 1
Level 1

hambyg,

On the router you can implement route maps utilizing the track command. I believe the track command can transverse 16 hops. The newer IOS's offer this feature.

Thanks. I'll check that out. This router is running 12.1(5).

stackhbj1
Level 1
Level 1

I believe you need a 12.3 or above. Also checkSDRAM and SIMFLASH requirements for IOS

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card