cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast CEF PPS for ASR1002 Router?

dialtelusa
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what the Packets Per Second Rating is with FAST CEF Switching on the RP1 or RP2 route processor? I may be wrong but I was under the assumption that the ESP cards will add a second option to the ASR series for more powerful routing.. I am just not sure if the RP1 or RP2 will be an upgrade from my 7200VFX with NPE-G2 card (rated at 2 million PPS) or if I need to go straight to an ASR1002 with ESP-5...

I do know about the ASR1002-F with the ESP2.5 card and that is double my current capability at 4.4 million but that has no upgrade option so I figured the ASR1002 would be a good start.. Just not sure if I need to go straight to adding an ESP-5 or if the RP1/RP2 route processor is already faster out of the box than my current setup.

Apologize in advance if I am sounding dumb here. Just not completely versed in the hardware configs.. Attached is a route performance guide but cannot find one for the RP1/RP2.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

asv49ripe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Erik, PPS on ASR depends only on the ESP not the RP. That's why you didn't find perfomance about RPs in attached pdf. If I were you I would bet on esp10 as the maximum one for asr1002

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The RP1 vs. RP2 is about route capacity (number of routes), more than forwarding performance.  For forwarding performance, you'll want to examine the specs for the ESP being used.

Some of the ASR 1Ks support dual RPs, which provide hard redundancy, for the component.

As you noted, even the ESP2.5, at 4.4 Mpps, is about double the performance of the NPE-G2.

If you're looking for longer term performance growth, you might want to consider the ASR 1002-X rather than the ASR 1002-F or ASR 1002.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

asv49ripe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Erik, PPS on ASR depends only on the ESP not the RP. That's why you didn't find perfomance about RPs in attached pdf. If I were you I would bet on esp10 as the maximum one for asr1002

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The RP1 vs. RP2 is about route capacity (number of routes), more than forwarding performance.  For forwarding performance, you'll want to examine the specs for the ESP being used.

Some of the ASR 1Ks support dual RPs, which provide hard redundancy, for the component.

As you noted, even the ESP2.5, at 4.4 Mpps, is about double the performance of the NPE-G2.

If you're looking for longer term performance growth, you might want to consider the ASR 1002-X rather than the ASR 1002-F or ASR 1002.

Thank you. Very highly appreciated and it is making sense now... Bunch of freaking studs on here.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card