I hve small dout abt Faster Convergence

which is fastest convergence protocol is it OSPF or EIGRP

any help pls.....

5 Replies 5

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

normally EIGRP is faster than OSPF, but OSPF with 'fast hellos' feature is very good, and quite similar.

see that:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804556cc.html

Convergence is a design issue, not only a specific protocol limitation.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrea

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

EIGRP has convergence time is 2 second,

while OSPF has Convergence time 6 Second

so as per convergance EIGRP is faster than ospf

-Minu

I do not believe that we can say categorically that either protocol is faster than the other. There are situations where EIGRP will be faster (especially if there is a feasible successor) and there are situations where OSPF will be faster (especially if there is no feasible successor and EIGRP must transition to active state, query all neighbors, and wait for responses to all queries).

What we can say is that both protocols have generally quick convergence times (especially as compared to protocols like RIP).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I agree with you when I said "convergence is a design issue". Your explanation is better :)

Regards

Andrea

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

its all depends on your network design, requirement as well as your network infrastructure... and your IOS features also... as some of the features are provided by few IOS and also you can say supported by specific Hardware... you can take example of BFD: Bidirectional Forwarding Detection, Fast HELLOs...etc... and as RICK said about network design... so its up to your network requirement you can deploy it and accordingly configure it... you can also change the HELLO timinging but for that first of all you have to study out the impact of that perticular configuration on your network...

so its all up to your requirement...

hope this help you

rate this post if it help

regards

Devang

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card