Views
Helpful
Replies

Fastetherchannel configuration on c7206

ricwong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to setup an etherchannel on a c7206 NPE400 running IOS c7200-k4p-mz.120-31.S6.bin. when I tried to assign a FE interface to channel group 1 the router ask the following question. What does the question mean ? thanks.

(config-if)#channel-group 1

Command will clear some config: IP address(es), loopback

Manually remove other configs.

Continue? [yes]:

6 Replies 6

mukeshpal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

here you are binding interface with port channel so it will not take any ip address on the interface, because for this you have to create seperate port channel and all the ip address and all the other setting we need to provide inside the port channel. and all other physical interface what we are planning to work as a etherchannel will be bind by this port channel.

Router(config)# interface port-channel channel-number

or

Router(config)# interface pos-channel channel-number

Specifies a Gigabit EtherChannel or POS Channel interface and enters interface configuration mode

To add a Gigabit Ethernet interfaces to a Gigabit EtherChannel bundle, perform the following task beginning in global configuration mode:

Command Purpose

Step 1

Router(config)# interface gigabitethernet slot/port

Creates or modifies an existing Gigabit Ethernet interface and enters interface configuration mode.

Step 2

Router(config-if)# channel-group channel-number

Command will clear some config: IP address(es), loopback

Manually remove other configs.

Assigns the Gigabit Ethernet interface to the Gigabit EtherChannel associated with the specified channel number. The valid values for channel-number are 1 to 16.

Step 3

Continue? [yes]: yes

(Optional) Enter yes at the command prompt to configure the Gigabit Ethernet interface as a member of the port-channel group. The interface's IP address and loopback configuration are deleted.

Step 4

Router(config-if)# exit

Exits interface configuration mode. Repeat Step 1 through Step 4 to add up to eight GE interfaces to the Gigabit EtherChannel bundle.

Step 5

Router(config-if)# end

Exits interface configuration mode when you finish configuring the Gigabit EtherChannel.

hope it will clarify ur query, pls rate this post.

Regards...Mukesh

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

I think you are hitting Bug CSCin21061, which is internally found bug.

Details of the bug are

ISSUE :

The anomaly is that the GEC accepts an FE interface as a member when added to it.

This does create problems however and sometimes the GEc goes down, or IGP adjacency goes down when running on the port-channel interface.The FE interface does not forward traffic however.

This is integrated in 12.0(23.02)S.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

Hi,

I am trying to create a FEC rather than a GEC.

I am unable find Bug CSCin21061 using "bug toolkit"

But I found c7200-p-mz.122-40 GD release using Cisco's Software Advisor. Does this IOS fixes this bug ?

Thanks very much !

Hi ,

Can you paste the config of the router.

Thanks,

satish

Hi,

Here is the config of the 7206VXR NPE400, I have retain the essential config structure.

Thanks.

Hi ,

Try out the follwoing things:

Firstly, when you configure the port channel on a router you need to set the duplex on the

port-channel interface rather than on the physical interface. We use to configure this on the physical interface. The config

looks like the following:

interface Port-channel1

no ip address

duplex full

hold-queue 150 in

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

shutdown

duplex half

!

interface FastEthernet5/0

no ip address

duplex full

speed 100

channel-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet5/1

no ip address

duplex full

speed 100

channel-group 1

****Note :Do NOT set the duplex on the physical interface. It will take the config from the port channel automatically. After you have configured the duplex setting under the port-channel, you may need to shut and no shut the physical interface for the change to take effect. You do not configure the

duplex setting under the physical interface.

If possible reload the router once you configured router as said above.

Hope it sholud resolve your issue.

Thanks,

satish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card