cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Faulty switch in stack

askteasy
Level 1
Level 1

We have a hardware fault with one of our switches (WS-C3750G-24TS), this switch was part of a stack.  The faulty switch was switch 2 in the stack.

We do have hardware support on the switch but we have been advised that WS-C3750G-24TS is EOL and we cannot get the same replacement model.  Apparently the WS-C3750X-24T-S is considered its replacement but will this work in my stack to replace my switch 2 that is faulty, bearing in mind it is a different model and IOS version?

Below is the show version from my switch stack.

Switch   Ports  Model              SW Version              SW Image

------   -----  -----              ----------              ----------

1   28     WS-C3750G-24TS     12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPBASE-M

3   12     WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPBASE-M

4   12     WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPBASE-M

*    5   12     WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPBASE-M

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

You can stack an X series with the G series as long as the IOS is the same.

View solution in original post

Is it possible to downgrade the X series to IOS 12.2(35)SE5

Not possible.  The "lowest" IOS version an "X" can go is 12.2(55)SE.

You will need to consider upgrading the IOS of the stack to this level.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you have valid contract you still should be able to replace your switch to same model. Do you have SR opened?

Niko

HTH,
Niko

I contacted Cisco directly and they said we don't have a support contract on the device but it is under a hardware warranty until next year if it has a hardware fault but we had to contact the original supplier of the switch for a replacement.

We contacted the original supplier and they said they couldn't get the same model as it's end of life now and they could offer a credit note (although the exact amount is still to be confirmed). 

I guess I would like to put a newer model in ideally but I don't think this would work with our stack due to IOS mismatch and I would guess it is a bad move to try and downgrade the newer switch to an older IOS.  How do I tell if it would even be compatible with the other switches in the stack?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

You can stack an X series with the G series as long as the IOS is the same.

Is it possible to downgrade the X series to IOS 12.2(35)SE5, so it's the same as the other switches.  Or will the X series not work correctly with the older IOS version (as it probably didn't exist when this IOS was created).

The other switches are not under contract either so I guess that rules out upgrading them to a later IOS to match the version the X series comes with?

I guess the last option would be to buy support contracts on all the equipment and Cisco would then be able to assist me with the upgrade options/replacement.  This is something we are looking at but will take a while for the costs to be approved and we need to get a replacement sorted before it will likely be signed off by the client.

Is it possible to downgrade the X series to IOS 12.2(35)SE5

Not possible.  The "lowest" IOS version an "X" can go is 12.2(55)SE.

You will need to consider upgrading the IOS of the stack to this level.

Thanks for the ratings, Lee.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card