Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre module enquiry

willem.vanwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have a Cisco 7606 and want to connect a Fibre cable to the router. The Fibre is single mode, SC connector with 1310nm wavelength.

Can anyone please advise which is the correct SFP to get? I had a look at Cisco's website (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/gbic_sfp_modules_install/5067g.html) and found this

WS-G5486

GLC-LH-SM

Long wavelength/long haul (1000BASE-LX/LH)

Contains a Class 1 laser of 1300 nm for 1000BASE-LX/LH (long wavelength) applications.

but I am not sure if this is correct and am also wondering if I should get GBIC or SFP?

TIA

willemvw

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WS-G5486 is a GBIC while the GLC-LH-SM is an SFP.  Both are Long Haul, Single Mode.

So should I get the SFP for the 7606 router?

willem.vanwyk wrote:

So should I get the SFP for the 7606 router?

Willem

It entirely depends on which type of interface you are terminating it on ? If it's an SFP module use an SFP, if a GBIC module use a GBIC. Do you know what each looks like ?

Jon

I cannot tell what blade modules you have.  The 6500/7600 has blade modules that will take GBIC and SFP.  Can you post the output of the "sh module" please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card