cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Filtering Eigrp routes

meinanut1
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody tell me the correct way to filter routes from remote sites to a hub site? I have numerous remote sites that have only two or three networks. I want to advertise only those networks to the hub site. I want to filter incoming routes so the entire EIGRP table is not on every remote router.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

You can generally use distribute-lists in order to filter EIGRP route distribution. However, in your case, I would consider the use of EIGRP stub functionality, as described in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s15/eigrpstb.htm

Regards,

Paresh

PS> Pls do remember to rate posts.

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

the problem with eigrp is the query scope or the range, so to get over this isuue , use summarization or stub network commnad, when doing those the query stops quikly and the convergence is quick.

for a hub and spoke topology the (eigrp stub) command is the best to go, since hub router dont query a stub router for missed routes and there is option with the stub command to advertise (connected /static /summary only...) routes.

HTH

HI

Sorry to enter this Discussion;i have attached my campus lan drawing;the routing protocole is EIGRP;The question is??does the stub routing working in my campus at the DS Switchs(6509 sup20)?

plz have a lok to my drawing!

HI

Sorry to enter this Discussion;i have attached my campus lan drawing;the routing protocole is EIGRP;The question is??does the stub routing working in my campus at the DS Switchs(6509 sup20)?

plz have a lok to my drawing!

Just to add... another possible solution for hub & spoke networks is to use ODR. ODR is configured on the hub and uses CDP go learn the spokes connected interfaces. The ODR process is redistribured into EIGRP (in tyour example). ODR routers will receive a default route from the hub.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080093fde.shtml#t7

hi ali

i ve seen your attached schem, yes you can use stub command, or summary-address command.

and specialy this will be helpfull if you are a lot of subnets or vlans of the 10.13.0.0 and 10.11.0.0 behinds your DS switches, so when using those ip summary-address eigrp 10.11.0.0 255.255.0.0 and (10.13.0.0 255.555.0.0) you backbone router will not have the more specific router of those 10.11/13.0.0 so less route to calculate,less load on your CPU, less memory need, and if the DS loses one specific route it will query the backbone, the backbone will respond sorry i have no idea of that specific route and the query will stop here , however if you advertize the more specific router to the backbone , it will advertises them to the other DS, so the scope of the query will include those DS routers it will take more time to converge .

with stub can work also but it more specific for a stub router (stub: one way to get out of the local network) .

HTH

do rate if it does clarify

Hi Kamal!

but as the Drawing says:DS1 and DS2 both being in 10.11.0.0 and connected to each other as well as connected to the core. this is true then neither DS1 nor DS2 should be configured as EIGRP stub!!!am i correct? plz advise....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: