cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find the System Serial nr on a 2651XM

Alf Martinsen
Level 1
Level 1

Is it another method than sh ver? Running sh ver, does nor report the system serial nr,and i need that for TAC supp,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes it has one but you need physical access to see it :-)

Narayan

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Unfortunately the 2600 series do not report the chassis serial number with any command

All the new ISR routers and switches report the chassis serial number in the "sh inventory" command.

BTW if you have the contract ID, you should be able to raise a TAC case

Narayan

Thanks both of you. Well i dont need it only for a TAC case, but more for a SLA against a wendor. We are running IOS 12.2 so sh inv is not available.

I would here what Cisco wants from me on this one.

Hi,

Totally agree with Narayan, "show inventory" is not even available for the 2600 series.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Try:

show diag | include Chassis

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

"show inventory" will display the product inventory history.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080444bd3.html#wp1035744

Pls refer the above Link for the same.

PLS Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Guru,

The command is available as a part of the new IOS feature.

But when you use this command on a 26xx, it will show the processor ID and not the chassis serial number.

HTH

Narayan

So there is not actually a System Ser Nr in these routers?

Yes it has one but you need physical access to see it :-)

Narayan

OK, then i have to walk 200 m :-) Ok i'l give you all a 2 ones for this, fair?

/alf

This is a nice tool to find the location of the physical serial number on your equipment:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CPI/index.do

Great to use if you have sites with no IT staff and you need to direct someone to pull serial numbers off your gear.

Yup, good old fasion way of walking to the router and looking at the sticker with SN on it.

Also, if you have your order/delivery lists saved, then you can get SN's from there.

HI Narayan,

Thanks for Info. But, i was trying to locate the Device Model / IOS Version that Supports "show inventory" command.

But no results found. Thanks again for Info.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

From what I have seen show inventory is just a cleaned up version of show diag. I believe they report basically the same information. What has changed is that the chassis serial number is now being reported instead of the motherboard serial number.

laitonglek
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Amrtinsen,

I think by using the "sh diag" command you able to see the serial number including the chassis, and the WIC as well.

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: