Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding memory of a cisco router

patni_systems
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I am planning to upgrade IOS of my routers. I need to find whether existing flash and DRAM is enough for the new IOS version. I have following routers in my network:

1700, 2600, 2800, 3700

Can someone please tell me how to interpret the output of show version for these routers to get the flash and memory size?

Best Regards

Nandan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nandan,

I've verified that you have to add the two figures for the 1700 and 2800 platforms. I don't have a 3700 that I can verify it on but I'm sure it would be the same, being a newer platform.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The line starting with information on the router type will indicate the DRAM e.g.

cisco 7204VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision A) with 491520K/32768K bytes of memory.

The above indicates that there is a total of 491520K + 32768K ~ 512Mb of DRAM.

Also, there will be a line such as the following:

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

The above indicates that the router has 16Mb of Flash memory.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

Thanks for the response. I have referred to Cisco site, and it says that the calculation is not same for all router models. For some router models, what you have mentioned is correct, but for some router models, it is only the first figure, that you should consider. This document is an older one, and it does not specify the category in which 1700, 2800 and 3700 series routers belong to.

If you can help me with that, it would be really nice.

Best Regards

Nandan

Hi Nandan,

I've verified that you have to add the two figures for the 1700 and 2800 platforms. I don't have a 3700 that I can verify it on but I'm sure it would be the same, being a newer platform.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card