cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding Serial Number on 7200 Router

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

The outside sicker is gone and I need to find the Serial number of the router...it is a 7200 series router. What command will give me this info.

Thanks,

Mike

13 Replies 13

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

I have not found a command that will reliably give me the serial number for a 7200 router. Some people report that show version can do this but I have tried it on several 7200 routers and it has never given me a value that matches the number on the sticker. I have had good luck with show inventory on the ISR routers but every time I have tried it on 7200 routers I do not get the right value.

There ought to be a command that does this. But I have not found it.

Good luck.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you to everyone for your responces. I have tried every show command possible and entered every number that fit the serial number format and nothing. I ended up finding it in some of my old paperwork because I happened to write it down when I was working a problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Show inventory didn't show the S/N?

edit: just saw that it already was mentioned, sorry.

No it did not work.

Thanks for you help.

Yes, the chassis s/n cannot be read because the backplane is totally passive. You can obtain s/n for the NPE and PAs, as expected.

Did you try "show diag"?

Yep....no go. I tried just about every Show command and nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Please try "show rsp chassis-info". This command is added in 12.0(13)S

Try Sh c7200.....

To make it clear once for all:

There is NO command to read the serial number of a 7200 router chassis.

Hi Paolo,

I believe it is clear now.

Kind Regards,

Maria

That is relieving Maria, otherwise I would feel like the 5 years spent working on it my primary product, would have been totaly wasted...

Here is a option, read the tag on the back of the chassis and input it into the config of the system. Most of these are being replaced so not a big deal anymore. However this also allows SNMP to get it correct in reports.

snmp-server chassis-id 7xxxxxxx    –> hardcode the serial number using SNMP

show snmp chassis   –> shows the hardcoded serial number

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card