Views
Helpful
Replies

firewall on 857 not working?

d.hodgson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm trying to secure a router by using "ip inspect". The router takes all the commands but from a PC behind the router I cannot access the Internet. However if I remove the access list inbound on the external interface it works fine. I was under the impression that ip inspect should add a line to this access list allowing inbound access to an already established internal outbound session?

Can you please help?

I've attached...

sh run

sh ver

sh ip inspect all

sh access-lists

thanks

Dave

4 Replies 4

I've tried inbound on the VLAN Interface and external interface but it still doesn't work. The details of ip inspect can be found here where it states that ip inspect can be inbound on the internal interface but outbound on the external interface.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fsecur_c/ftrafwl/scfcbac.htm

rgds

Dave

d.hodgson
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like if I use the following statements it works ok...

ip inspect name firewall tcp router-traffic

ip inspect name firewall udp router-traffic

ip inspect name firewall icmp router-traffic

so I imagine it's looking at the NAT'd address instead of the source IP? can someone please confirm?

thanks

Dave

ah.....NAT'ting.

While configuring CBAC and NAT on a router, the NAT order of operation plays an important role.

For inside-to-outside traffic, perform these steps:

1. Check input ACL.

2. Perform NAT inside to outside.

3. Check output ACL.

For outside-to-inside traffic, perform these steps:

1. Check input ACL.

2. Perform NAT outside to inside.

3. Check output ACL.

For filtering inside-to-outside traffic on the inside interface, the inside hosts should be specified by their actual IP addresses.

Similarly, for filtering outside-to-inside traffic on the outside interface, the inside hosts should be specified by their translated addresses (inside global).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_configuration_example09186a008009445f.shtml

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card