cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall/router reccomendation - Home / Small business network

paulhiser
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a PIX 501 acting as my firewall to the internet. I am looking into purchasing a newer router and possibly integrating my DSL modem into the firewall device. I have several IP's assigned from my ISP and would like to map those to some computers in a DMZ for web, OWA, and a couple of unix servers. Ideally I would like a physically seperate DMZ interface. I would also like to incorporate QOS and other bandwidth technologies for my IP phone and other services to run smoothly while performing large tranfers.

Is there any recommendations for an inexpensive solution under $500. So far, I have seen 831-K9 router's, and 1710's on the net for $150 and under.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, if you are comfortable with the PIX concept why don't you look into the new ASA appliances that are quite economical. these can run pix 7.x code that is a big step ahead for many things.

Else with a bit of price stretch you could get a 18xx and that would be a nice although very small router.

I would not consider smaller/older routers but the 877 that has adsl and optionally, wireless.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

View solution in original post

haroon.shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

I think if you already have a PIX 501 you can buy something like a cheap Cisco 877 or 857. Both have DSL capabilities and if you buy them new, you will also get the latest IOS with QoS capabilities.

If you are looking to spend a bit more money, cisco 1800 would be a good choice but only if you are looking for expansion in future.

That's what we are using at the moment. Also, if you are not going to use all the advanced functions of firewall, PIX 501 will do the job for now.

* Please rate the post if it helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, if you are comfortable with the PIX concept why don't you look into the new ASA appliances that are quite economical. these can run pix 7.x code that is a big step ahead for many things.

Else with a bit of price stretch you could get a 18xx and that would be a nice although very small router.

I would not consider smaller/older routers but the 877 that has adsl and optionally, wireless.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

haroon.shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

I think if you already have a PIX 501 you can buy something like a cheap Cisco 877 or 857. Both have DSL capabilities and if you buy them new, you will also get the latest IOS with QoS capabilities.

If you are looking to spend a bit more money, cisco 1800 would be a good choice but only if you are looking for expansion in future.

That's what we are using at the moment. Also, if you are not going to use all the advanced functions of firewall, PIX 501 will do the job for now.

* Please rate the post if it helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco