Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

First time move to a Fiber Link could use some help.

I am about to take our business from using a Comcast Business Class coax router to getting them to install a fiber drop into our building. What they told me was they would be terminating on a ciena switch (I believe it will be a 3920). Right now I have a 70 user company running off an AD Domain that is behind a sonicwall with a static /30 set as the def gateway on the sonicwall. How do I configure the cisco router I am gonna buy to connect to the fiber link? What module for a 1901 router do I need for the connection to the cienna switch? Right now my sonic wall is doing my NAT should I change that to the new router? Should I still use sonicwall? I have lots of questions actually. If anyone could help I will gladly post any additional info you may need to be of assistance.

1 REPLY

Re: First time move to a Fiber Link could use some help.

Hi Michael,

Chances are, and you'll need to verify with your provider, are that you'll have a copper handoff from your router (a standard patch cable) into their switch. The switch itself will have a fiber connection from it to the provider's equipment. You'll configure the ethernet interface per the provider's addressing information, change your default gateway, etc.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content