cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Floating static routes for VPN backup connectivity

Scheffer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a central location and four remote locations with a router at each location. I will have private leased lines for main WAN connectivity. I will also be using IPsec over GRE for VPN backups from each location to the central location over the public IP cloud. My plan is to configure EIGRP on each of the routers as well as "floating static routes" for the GRE tunnels.

My questions are:

1. Will this work to ensure that the VPNs are only used in the event that the main WAN connectivity goes down and that the VPNs are not used when the main WAN connectivity comes back up?

2. If the floating routes are configured for the GRE tunnels, will this prevent the EIGRP protocol from using the GRE tunnels as part of its topology?

3. Should this be the other way around (meaning should I configure static routes for the main WAN links and EIGRP for the GRE tunnels?)

4. If I do configure it as mentioned in question 3, won't the static routes have to be manually re-added to the table when the WAN links come back up (as opposed to GRE tunnels which are always considered up so the static routes would never be removed from the table)?

The idea is to get the VPN backups to work transparently without any manual adjustments to the router config. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your floating routing should work and to avoid EIGRP from being active on the GRE tunnel, do not include the IP address of the tunnel under the EIGRP process and for double protection make sure to mark this interface as passive (i.e. passive-interface tunnel x) under the EIGRP process.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card