cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FR and ATM: Translation and Transperent Mode

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

which solution will be cost effective when i am going to use the T1/E1 line with FR::: Transperent mode or Translation Mode???

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Possibly you are refferint to the feature of 'Frame Relay / ATM interworking", in which the router act a a layer 2 switch to allow traffic between Frame realy and ATM endpoints ?

If so, first of all, if you can make the router participate in routing at Layer3, as normally does, then the feature will not be necessary.

This said, the more common mode is to use the "Translated" version, this way the router will adapat the encapsulation from one media to another. The "transparent" mode is more useful when both ends are Frame-relay, but the transport is over ATM

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

hi,

thanks for your reply... will you please explain me the encapsulation method and protocol used in both the mode with their operation?

regards

Devang

In translation mode, the router will read and write encapsulation bytes for Multiprotocol over ATM and Multiprotocol over Frame relay.

These are the well know standards like RFCs and FR forum, ATM forum documents. I'm not putting the numbers here, these are easy to find.

In transparent mode, the router does not change encapsulation and copies the user frame verbaitm from FR to ATM and vice-versa.

Found this post useful ? If so please take a moment to rate it using the scrollbox below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card