Views
Helpful
Replies

FR home lab question

Andrew White
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I'm studying for my CCNP (passed the switch exam) and I'm using GNS3 for the route exam which can cause me headaches with the idelpc option from time.  Anyway I also have some routers sitting there doing nothing that work gave me for my studies, but I'm finding I don't need them due to GNS3, but feel it's a waste.  Did you use real kit for your studies?

I have:

2 x 2620s

1 x 2621

2 x1841s

It would be useful to use 1 router as a FR switch so should I buy a NM-8A/S 8-port Serial Module giving me 8 serial ports and use it in a 2620 or I see you can buy a Cisco 2520 FR switch for a tiny bit more giving my 5 serial ports.

Or should I save my money and just use GNS3?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

It's more of a personal choice whether to use GNS3 or real gear, the end result would still be the same. Personally, I took the GNS3 route due to budget constraints.

If you choose to use GNS3, make sure your PC has good specs or plenty of RAM. I've read a lot of folks can pass ROUTE mainly using GNS3.

Alternatively, you could use a 2522 for your FR switch. It has an 8 built-in serial ports. You could then sell it once your done with ROUTE or use it for CCIE R/S if you plan to upgrade your skills.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Andrew,

John has given some very good advice here. I personally use a 2522 as the frame-relay 'cloud' in my home lab and it works like a charm. Its perfect for studies all the way up to the CCIE exam.

Regards,

Aninda

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Andrew,

To add to great answers by John and Aninda, I do admit I use Dynamips/Dynagen all the time (and may God bless the guy who wrote it - anyone irked at the related licensing issues please contact me via private message to discuss this privately ). I have not been using GNS3, though. I know it is much more flexible and convenient than writing topology scripts for Dynagen. At the same time, GNS3 does not seem to be as stable as Dynamips/Dynagen combination and for some inexplicable reason, GNS3 has always been more heavy on my CPU than Dynamips/Dynagen combination. Using Dynamips/Dynagen with recent 2691 images has always worked like a charm for me - very stable, feature-rich, relatively low CPU, and regarding the idlepc value, once you get a good value for a particular image, there is no need to re-evaluate it.

So I would personally suggest learning how to use the Dynagen, and stick with it, even if it is less convenient than the GUI-driven GNS3.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card