Helpful
Replies

FR + QoS

ikizoo4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

when configure qos on FR interface.

RSVP, LLQ, Fragments, need to configure frame relay traffic shapping at the same time.

then how about CBWFQ, WRED ? is these also need FRTS?

i dont ask optimal,,i am asking need or not..

thanks

9 Replies 9

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Yes.. Its needed.

CBWFQ on Frame Relay interfaces is always in the context of Frame Relay TS. You cannot use CBWFQ with Generic Traffic Shaping (GTS).

how about WRED,?

can we say that every QoS on FR need FRTS?

The type of QOS choice depends upon the underlying applications, WAN protocol, WAN topology, bandwidth restrictions etc.

WRED is always not a good idea as it drops packets. This is definitely not good for VOIP (if you are using it over your FR network). CBWFQ with Priority queueing (LLQ) is good for prioritizing voip, at the same time ensureing CBWFQ for rest of the data traffic.

FRTS is particularly required if you have a hub and spoke topology with restricted bandwidth at the hub or remote. Adding CBWFQ in addition to FRTS will ensure that bandwidth is guaranteed for each class of traffic during congestion. Again if you dont run a lot of mission critical apps, across the link, you dont need to use CBWFQ. IF your service provider doesnt drop traffic, you dont need to put FRTS on your routers to control the rate at which the router sends traffic to the cloud.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi..

Particulary, what i am asking is..

map-class class1

match ip add ...

policy-map qos

class class1

bandwidth 100

interface serial 0/0

encapsulation frame-rely

service out qos

is this working or not?

policy-map wred

class class-default

bandwith 100

randon-detect

interface serial 0/1

encapsulation frame-relay

service out wred

is this working?

both will work provided if u enable frts.

Hi

what I am asking is,,,WHAT IF WITHOUT FRTS..is working?

Your configuration will not work as listed for Frame Relay. To apply the policy, you have to apply it to a Frame Relay map-class. You can use the following document as a reference:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/cbwfq_17920.html

Your first config would need to look like:

class-map class1

match ip add ...

policy-map qos

class class1

bandwidth 100

class class-default

bandwidth 100

randon-detect

interface serial 0/0

encapsulation frame-rely

frame-relay interface-dlci ...

class FRTS

map-class frame-relay FRTS

service out qos

This configuration still wouldn't necessarily work the way you need it to. You need to include the various Frame-Relay parameters for CIR, Bc, etc. Notice that I included WRED by combining both configs.

HTH,

JW

--

Justin White, CCIE #14745, MCSE

whitej@gmx.net

Hi justin,

I am very thank you for your response, but i am not clear yet about my issues. you said to apply the policy, have to apply it to a Frame Relay map-class.

first, for frame-relay map-class, FRTS is madantory, and you missed it.

sencond, if to apply it to PVC, we would need FR map-class and FRTS,

third, what if to apply it to interface, I think don't need FRTS, this is bottom line.

thanks

Well, this is certainly equal opportunity, since the class-map is invalid too. Statement should be "match access-group", not "match ip address".

As to your third point, yes you can apply the service-policy directly to the interface. But you will not be able to affect a single PVC without FRTS. Applying your policy to the entire interface affects all DLCIs. You could place the DLCI on a subinterface to apply the policy there.

Also, as a point of reference, you should have a bandwidth statement on the Serial0/0 interface to use MQC accurately.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card