Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

FR question

guys i know FR and different methods of configuring FR. Now i am confuse on thebasic concept of using it....now let me give you an example......suppose we have three offices A, B,C now i can configure the router at office A (suppose its a main office) as a normal FR physical link and i get 2 dlci's on that physical link (no subinterfaces for the time being) and i do the same on b and c now this is hub and spoke or partial mesh topology.....now site A can talk to B and C and so the sites B and C to A.....now if site B wants to talk directly i can add another pvc between them (to make it full mash) or i can use FR map statements.....it will work fine.....now why we need subinterfaces.......look i can implement the same scenario as A (head office) as point to multipoint subinterfaces.....but it will work as the scenario one.....guys all i am confuse is why we use subinterfaces rathe rthen the normal physical interface as described above.....the only scenario comes to my mind is that if u have less physcial interfaces it will solve the problem.....can someone please descibe it......as i m totally lost.....thanks a million guys.

1 REPLY

Re: FR question

You are right , it is the matter of physical interface density.

For few sites , it may work having different physical interfaces.

But as more site comes, your router may not be able to suffice the physical interfaces density , to more many PVC's.

Keeping in mind such type of scalability , subinterfaces are created for terminating pvc.

HTH...rate if helpful..

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content