cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-Relay Bridged to routed subnet

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have a critical server that originally could not be a routed connection to the DR server in our DR site. It had to be on the same subnet, so it was bridged to the DR site.

The server is using the BVI interface as it's default gateway.

We now need to remove this bridged subnet and put it on a routed subnet.

We have a DS3 to our DR site.

The DS3 from HQ to DR is configured as Frame-Relay with several subinterfaces.

Three are bridged subnets and 1 is a routed subnet, I have to replace one of the bridged subnets with a routed one.

Should I assume that the telco has provided the DLCIs for this configuration and each subnet is a specific bandwidth amount?

And I should consider the subnets the same as if they were going to differnet branches?

For example, the bridged subnet is dedicated bandwidth for that particular PVC and I need to remove the bridge group and assign ip addresses on each side it to ensure that subnet will be using the same bandwidth allotted in the frame-relay?

interface Serial6/0.100 point-to-point

ip address 1.1.2.65 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

crypto map Crypt

!

interface Serial6/0.101 multipoint

description Bridged VLAN 5

frame-relay map bridge 101 broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

bridge-group 1

!

interface Serial6/0.25 multipoint

description Bridge VLAN 25

frame-relay map bridge 25 broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 25

bridge-group 2

!

interface Serial6/0.4 multipoint

description Bridge VLAN 4

frame-relay map bridge 4 broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 4

bridge-group 3

1 Reply 1

t814687
Level 1
Level 1

Wilson,

If I understood the questions correctly you will have to introduce subnets at both sites for each L2 broadcast domain you splitting, You will have to remove the bridge groups and configure IP addresses on the subinterfaces facing WAN and FE interfaces you connect the LAN. For each frame relay PVC [or DLCI] your telco configured the CIR which is your available bandwidth on the ckt, you should know frame-realy parameters of each PVC in order to make sure you will have enough capacity for your L3 connection between the sites. So generally speaking for each L2 connection you will have at minimum 3 subnets (one between the routers say /30 and two for the LAN segments). Hope it makes sense.

serg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card