cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Frame Relay Global addressing.....?????

Hi,

Hope i'm posting in the correct place, please let me know if not.

I wonder if anyone is able to help with Frame Relay addressing...

I have spend hours searching for explanations to aid with my CCNA study and found nothing that is consistent.

Local DLCI addressing I understand has a local DLCI per PVC and you map that PVC to the IP your going to, hope I have that correct.

Global DLCI addressing according to Wendell Odom's ICND2 book is two things the same DLCI on all routers and different DLCI's on all routers...how can that be???

Does a consistent explanation actually exist or is it really several things at one that don't add up?

I really hope there is someone out there who can clear up what I am missing and make it all make sense!!

Thanks

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Frame Relay Global addressing.....?????

Hi Richard,

The concept of "global DLCI addressing" is very confusing indeed, especially considering that there is no global DLCI addressing at all

Rick Burts has very nicely summed it up in this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2171654

In essence, the "global" DLCI addressing is simply a way of how FR service providers allocated DLCI numbers to customers when creating PVCs to interconnect their sites. There is nothing really "global" about them - it is just how they look to the customer. I suggest you read the thread above and then come back with any questions you might have.

Best regards,

Peter

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content