Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Frame Relay Inteface Type's?

I was wondering how the multipoint (or any other interface type) gets attached to the end of the interface (in the example below). Is this something that the router does automatically?

interface Serial1/0.1 multipoint

ip address 208.28.1.3 255.255.255.248

ip ospf network broadcast

I know I can use the ospf network (whatever) command to override it, but out of curiousity I was wondering why it shows a certain interface type and if it only shows that way with fram relay links and if so then how does it know what to append to the interface name? is it by physical card/module? Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Frame Relay Inteface Type's?

Ken

The answer depends a bit on whether you are talking about the physical interface (the main interface) or about subinterfaces. On the main (physical) interface it defaults to multipoint (the interface might be point to point or might be multipoint and the "safe" assumption is to treat it as multipoint). On subinterfaces there is no longer a default (I have been at this long enough to remember when there was a default - but that was many releases ago) and when you create the subinterface you must specify whether it is to be point to point or to be multipoint.

And I do believe that this behavior is unique to Frame Relay interfaces.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content