Helpful
Replies

frame-relay map

alwahidi22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

R1(DLCI 60)----FR-----(DLCI 62)R2

assume that R1 serial interface is point-to-multipoint .

I would like to ask about frame-relay map command , if i assume that DLCI numbers are locally significant then

R1 configuration should be:

frame-relay map ip (R2 ip address) 60 broadcast

if i assume that DLCI numbers are globally provided by ISP then R1 configuration should be :

frame-relay map ip (R2 ip address) 60 broadcast

or

frame-relay map ip (R2 ip address) 62 broadcast

?

Regards,

Ibrahim Alwahidi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ibrahim,

DLCI is always locally significant, the whole idea here is that the provider FR switches will be responsible to connect the local DLCI (60) to the remote DLCI (62), and your routers should know which local DLCI to use as a source to which IP destination (and vice versa on the remote side).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should be able to tell what DLCI the frame-relay switch is advertising by typing:

show frame pvc

The frame-relay switch will switch from the source dlci you are seeing to the destination dlci at the other side.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Ibrahim,

You should use "frame-relay map ip (R2 ip address) 60 broadcast" on R1 as DLCI 62 is of no significance for R1, R1 should use DLCI 60 to reach R2 addresses, and the provider should be doing the end-to-end PVC to DLCI 62 on the other end, this is due to the fact that this DLCI is the local significant DLCI number used to connect to the specified protocol address on the interface.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanx Mohammad for ur response...

But the command should be the same when we use gloabally DLCI as locally significant DLCI ?

Regards,

Ibrahim Alwahidi

Hi Ibrahim,

DLCI is always locally significant, the whole idea here is that the provider FR switches will be responsible to connect the local DLCI (60) to the remote DLCI (62), and your routers should know which local DLCI to use as a source to which IP destination (and vice versa on the remote side).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanx alot Mohammad for ur supporting and ur encourging me ....

Regards,

Ibrahim Alwahidi

Dear Ibrahim,

You are very welcomed, and its nice having someone with your spirit trying always to understand in the best way.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco