cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame relay protocol down BUT lmi is working!

v.angelakos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Sometimes (for interfaces with frame-relay encapsulation),i get:

interface up, line protocol down

but lmi keeps on successfully sending and receiving Status msgs.

any clues?

Thank you,

vangelis

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello vangelis,

How did you check LMI working properly? Second, what is the PVC status announced through LMI? What are the LMI timers, do they match the other side?

Regards, Martin

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

#show frame-relay lmi interface sx/x

gives me increasing number of status enq. sent and received and no Stat Enq. timeouts.

LMI timers are default (10/15sec)

I cannot currently give PVC details announcement details since the interface is running ok right now.

vangelis

Hello vangelis,

you can use "debug frame-relay lmi" to check the informations sent and received. Especially watch out for messages reporting on PVC status (once a minute with default settings).

Hard to troubleshoot a working environment ;-)

Regards, Martin

Dear Vangelis,

Default reporting of PVC status, is SIX times of DTE configured keepalive (default keepalive is 10 sec, leading to one minute PVC reporting from FR Switch), it's prefered to configure a keepalive to a value lower than configured on FR Switch,

I suggest you show us "show interface x/y" result, and configure "keealive 5" leading to 30 seconds DLCI reporting from FR switch.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card