cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay subinterface & split-horizon

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I have been reading about this and I would like to confirm my understanding is correct:

Imagine I setup a R1-Hub router, s0/0 physical interface connected to (3) spoke routers R2,R3,R4 like shown below.

Questions:

1) If I am running a distance vector protocol, is the split horizon behavior going to apply to the multipoint subinterface below? Note all spokes are on the same subnet... so it seems to me split horizon would still be in effect given the config below.

I know in point-to-point subinterfaces split horizon does not apply.

#R1

(...)

int s0/0

encap frame-relay

no ip address

no shut

no frame-relay inverse-arp

int s0/0.234 poin-to-multipoint

ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 122 broad

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 133 broad

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.4 144 broad

(...)

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your configuration would result in split horizon issues. If the routing protocol you are running does enforce split horizon then R1 will learn an update from R2 but will not forward the update to R3 or to R4. The result is that the hub knows how to get to all subnets, but each spoke knows only its local subnet and the subnets from the hub.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

yes in RIPv2 split-horizon is enabled on frame-relay multipoint subinterfaces(but disabled on physical interfaces) and in EIGRP it is enabled for both.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card