Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay -- T1 Question

rafaelgarcia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to setup a lab in order for me to test the changes I will make to my network. My problem is that I have a fractional T1 (WIC) using frame-relay encapsulation on one side and the Colo (remote location)equipment on the other side. How could I simulate this topology?

Before, I have simulated frame-relay encapsulation using serial interface cables, but never using WIC cards.

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

gschertz
Level 1
Level 1

Thats actualy very simple.

you can use a T1 crossover cables to simulate the WAN.And a router in Frame-relay switch mode.

All wic modules need to be configured for the same bandwidth. If it is a 56k/64k module then the bandwidth is already set. For the WIC T1 dus/csu module, set the linecode, framing, and timeslots on each of the modules. One set the clock to internal the other to line.

For the T1 setup create a T1 crossover. first end connect pins 1,2 to pins 4,5 at the other end, then first end connect pins 4,5 to pings 1,2 at the other end. You will have to have the router a frame-relay switch mode to addvertize the dlci's

So your topo will look like this

cpe router----frame-switch-------cpe router

For the 56k/64k its the same except you will not configure the timeslots on the modules, and I believe the pins are 1,2 and 7,8

As you can see you will need an extra router with 2 modules to provide the frame relay dlci's for the circuits.

In the frame switch you will map a dlci you specify on one interface to a dlci you specify on the other interface. this will bring up the frame-relay protocol and advertize the dlci's to the cpe equipment.

Gene

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card