Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Frame Relay technology, theoretical question

Hello all,

I am working on a MPLS paper, interested in including some FR, ATM background info. Taking a closer look at Frame Relay encapsulation I found:

1. No frame structure information for Cisco proprietary FR encapsulation, which is very unfortunate since all of our networking equipment is Cisco made.

2. Got a question on IETF RFC 2427 encapsulation, which states that all protocols must encapsulate within Q.922 Annex A (aka DL-CORE) frame, but again uses control field according to Q.922 which is *not* Annex A.

So my questions go:

1. Is it possible to find the frame structure of Cisco FR encapsulation?

2. Does RFC 2427 (by using the above mentioned verbalization) means that: yes it does use control field according to Q.922 description but it actually places the control field inside the Data part of the Annex A frame making it transparent to the FR network (visible only end-to-end and not point-to-point)?

3. If the above (Q2) stands true is there any actual/real life DL-CONTROL implementation?

Thank you,

vangelis

Views
Helpful
Replies