cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-Relay upgrade to T1

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

After a failed attempt to upgrade a 256k frame-relay circuit to a T1. I kinda lost confidence thus the silly question. I'm putting in a new WIC T1 card so I have 2 questions. First..can I slide in the new WIC card or do I need to power down the router (3545)first to install the new WIC card? Second question is to make this frame relay connection I need to create a subinterface and under bandwidth enter 1536K to bring it up to T1 speed correct? Again sorry for the silly question I'm batting 0 for 3 here. Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Warren

I can not answer whether the WIC is hot swappable or not. As to your second question, it is generally best practice to configure Frame Relay with point to point subinterfaces. The bandwidth parameter will is not what you will configure to control the speed or throughput of the interface. Depending on the particular card you are using there may be some parameters to set for interface speed, though if it is a T1 WIC probably the default is to operate at full T1 rate.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick;

So if I have a CIS-WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 card and configured a point to point frame felay conneciton where do I go to control the speed/throughput for that interface? would it be on the map-class that is already configured? Just in case I need to, you probably right about that though.

map-class frame-relay cit-fr-cmap

frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn

frame-relay cir 256000

frame-relay bc 32000

frame-relay be 160000

frame-relay mincir 128000

so I would change the cir to 1536k then?

Warren

It is not in the map-class. And I would not change anything about CIR without coordinating with the service provider.

What you will need is under the serial interface. Under the service-module t1 command are a number of parameters that you might need to configure, including timeslots 1-23 (for full rate T1). You can also configure clock (source), framing, linecode if you need to - but I do not think that you will need these others.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card