Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Frame Relay vs. PPP Tail

We have a provider-based MPLS network and the majority of our access tails are provisioned using Frame-Relay. I believe this is just a means to provide access as we aren't getting any FECNs,BECNs, etc.

I believe we may have the option to request an access tail using ppp encapsulation instead of frame relay.

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of ppp vs. frame relay when used strictly as an access medium?

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Frame Relay vs. PPP Tail

In a hub-spoke design, I prefer going with frame-relay. With frame-relay, you are able to create subinterfaces thus providing a more hierarchal design.

If you are going with a point-to-point design, then you can use either access medium but go with the easiest with is ppp :)

Why do the providers seem to always default to Frame-relay? I don't ever get asked which one I want to use. Strange.

MPLS is often a many-to-many topology and frame-relay fits the bill based on the feature I explained before.

To be clear, I am talking about a Service Provider MPLS network here. When would you need more than 1 DLCI or subinterface on the CE in this situation?

With MPLS, you can configure a location to talk directly to many locations, not directly to the hub. On this case, you need more than 1 DLCI.

Views
Helpful
Replies