Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

FRTS make it me clear?

FRTS, Unlike the other shaping tools, cannot shape a subset of the traffic on an interface. Each of the other three shapers can be configured on one suinterface and not the other, essentially enabling shaping on only some of the traffice leving an interface. The other three shaper can also configure classification parameters and shpe only part of ther traffic on the interface.

PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND THIS???

(What it means)

regards

devang

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: FRTS make it me clear?

Hi Devang,

When you enable FRTS, it is done using the command 'frame-relay traffic-shaping'. This command is applied at the physical (main) interface level, not at a sub-interface level. As soon as this command is entered, all frame-relay PVCs under this interface (including PVCs under any sub-interfaces) will get default traffic-shaping parameters (you can override the defaults using frame-relay map-classes). That means that as soon as this command is entered, all PVCs on that interface will be shaped. You don't have the option of shaping some PVCs and not others.

For example:

interface Serial0/0:1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

load-interval 30

no fair-queue

frame-relay traffic-shaping

!

interface Serial0/0:1.16 point-to-point

ip address 16.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

!

interface Serial0/0:1.17 point-to-point

ip address 17.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 17

!

In the above config, both DLCIs 16 and 17 will be shaped. You cannot just shape one and not the other. Also note that you can't enter the 'frame-relay traffic-shaping' command under a sub-interface.

The other shaping tools, such as class-based traffic-shaping and generic traffic shaping (GTS), can be a bit more granular. With GTS you can use ACLs to determine what traffic gets shaped. With CBTS, you can do it on a per-class basis.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

thank you pareshbhai,

so it means that when i enable FRTS on main interface all PVC will be enable to shaping right??

now tell me if i am having 4 PVC and i would like to use different shaping parameters on PVC then is it possible in FRTS ???

and also send me good links to read FRTS in depth...???

regards

Devang

Purple

Hi Devang,

In order to shape PVCs at different rates, you need to specify the shaping parameters in a frame-relay map-class.

An example follows:

interface Serial0/0:1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

load-interval 30

no fair-queue

frame-relay traffic-shaping

!

interface Serial0/0:1.16 point-to-point

ip address 16.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

class shape128k

!

interface Serial0/0:1.17 point-to-point

ip address 17.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 17

class shape256k

!

map-class frame-relay Shape128k

frame-relay cir 128000

frame-relay bc 32000

!

map-class frame-relay Shape256k

frame-relay cir 256000

frame-relay bc 64000

DLCI 16 will be shaped to 128k and DLCI 17 will be shaped to 256k

Here's a couple of good links:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/21.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/traffic_shaping_6151.html

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/qos_c/qcpart4/qcfrts.htm

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content