Views
Helpful
Replies

Funny BGP issue

caijunjie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I have encounter a very funny issue on bgp in which I hope someone can help to advice.

Situation:

I got a CE connecting to a PE in a MPLS cloud via BGP. Everything including routing is woring fine.

One fine day the layer 2 link went down. and beause of that the bgp went down also. After the PTT fixed the link, the link came up BUT the BGP is still down. I do a ping to PE, suprising i could ping it with one hop with the BGP down.

May someone help to advice how this be since the bgp is down ehen i try to do a ping to the PE.

THanks in advance.

Alan

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Alan,

If your PE and CE are connected directly, there is no routing protocol required to ping the PE from your CE. You would not be able to ping anything that is beyond the PE.

You can try clearing the BGP process and even try a debug to see why the BGP is not coming up after the link failure

HTH

Narayan

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

What state is BGP in?

Is it in ACTIVE or IDLE mode? (using "show bgp summary" command)

Here is a very nice guide to BGP troubleshooting:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009478a.shtml

Hope this helps.

Please rate all helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card