Views
Helpful
Replies

Genuine Cisco 877w, or not?

tf2-conky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm looking to purchase a used Cisco 877w off ebay for home.

I have no real basis to be suspicous(~$270USD seems a fair price), but are there any obvious questions I could ask to check if it is genunine Cisco, and not counterfeit?

TIA

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tf2-conky wrote:

Hello

I'm looking to purchase a used Cisco 877w off ebay for home.

I have no real basis to be suspicous(~$270USD seems a fair price), but are there any obvious questions I could ask to check if it is genunine Cisco, and not counterfeit?

TIA

Counterfeit in what sense. I'm not aware there is a big market for counterfeit Cisco kit.

Jon

I'm aware of some counterfeit WIC cards (I don't recall if AIM-VPN cards were in the list) but have not yet seen a full unit.

I guess I'm just being cautious.  There have been several stories on /. over the past few years regarding counterfeit, or unauthentic Cisco gear inc routers.  You also hear *stories* about this stuff floating about in the greyware market etc.

Thanks for the replies.

The latest court conviction is about a group who's been selling fake components.  No one has yet been able to sell a full unit.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Caveat emptor (Buyer's beware).

When dealing with e-bay, you really can't tell whether an item is genuine, functional or even exist.  You have to make the judgment base on the seller's reputation.  You can also complain to e-bay if the goods are not what they are meant to be.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card