cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

getting config out of non-booting 2811

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a 2811 that crashes when trying to load the IOS in memory. I can see it decompressing the image but its not able to load it. I have a new chassis that I want to use but I need to get the config out of the bad chassis. How can I do this? Can I use the rommon? If not do I have other options? Can I physically move the NVRAM chip from bad to good chassis?

Thanks,

Diego

17 Replies 17

We removed all modules from the router and replaced the flash and DRAM with no luck. The router had been running without any changes for almost 2 years so I am pretty sure it wasn't a config issue. We loaded alterate IOSes in DRAM via tftp and xmodem. Nothing worked. I don't have a problem with a 3 year old router going down. I know stuff can't last forever. I can also point the finger at the previous admin for not leaving a backup config around. What's amazing is the need to load an IOS to get to the NVRAM. The router seems to work in rommon with no problem. Maybe if there was a stripped down, recovery only IOS? I tried with a 12.3 IP base which seems like the smallest IOS that supports a 2811 and that didn't work either.

Rgds,

Diego

You have a genuine HW failure then.

Now I don't know if it's possible to upgrade rommon from rommon, perhaps a newer version would make work commands to dump nvram.

I didn't think that upgrading the rommon was possible but a quick search shows that it is. Alas, you need to do it from IOS so that won't work for me. However, while looking thru the results I did find this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a0080110ed1.shtml

I think this might work because if I remember correctly I see the router boot the boot image before it boots the IOS in flash. If I use the confreg 0x2101 to boot to this image then maybe I can do a "show startup-config" and paste that sucker in notepad REAL quick like. I won't be able to try this until after the holiday but if someone could confirm that the boot image has "show startup-config" available as a command I would appreciate it immensely!

Thanks,

Diego

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card