Views
Helpful
Replies

ghost WS-X6724-SFP module

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all

I have noticed that when a WS-X6724-SFP (24port 1G card) module is installed then removed. the router still hold all the config. you can actually go as far as conf mode under teh removed interface.

I trust a reload will clear the misleading module, but would rather use another method. the clear command does not offer any options here.

any suggestiosn ?

TIA

Sam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

By default a 6500 running IOS will keep the configuration of the card that was removed so that in the event you that you have to replace a defective module (hot swap) the config would stay in tact.

If in the global configuration mode you type the "module clear-config" command the switch will remove the configuration of a module once it is removed. However, this needs to be in place BEFORE the module is removed.

So for it to work for you now, you would have to re-install the card. Type the command. Then remove the card.

I prefer to remove the command once the card (and config) is removed in case I have to perform maintenance and hot swap a card.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

By default a 6500 running IOS will keep the configuration of the card that was removed so that in the event you that you have to replace a defective module (hot swap) the config would stay in tact.

If in the global configuration mode you type the "module clear-config" command the switch will remove the configuration of a module once it is removed. However, this needs to be in place BEFORE the module is removed.

So for it to work for you now, you would have to re-install the card. Type the command. Then remove the card.

I prefer to remove the command once the card (and config) is removed in case I have to perform maintenance and hot swap a card.

Thanks for the clear reply.

I guess there is trade off here, hotswap Vs misleading info.

in this case my preffered method woudl be to no longer trust sh ip intr brief on its own but back it up with a show inventory etc..

Thanks again

Sam

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card