cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gig Ethernet Sub-interface Status

gaurav_saxena
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where multiple customers ethernet links are getting terminated on one Gigabit Ethernet port in a router. Gig port is configured for dot1q encapsulation with suinterfaces created for each customer VLANs.

is there any way to find out if individual customer link is down on router? Since this is Gig ethernet Sub interface, line protocol will never go down.

Regards

Gaurav

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

i feel few ways to get the same noticed by getting syslog notification message on interface down,using object tracking feature available with the cisco ios and using either MRTG or PRTG to poll up your interface and find out the exact status of the interface.

for more info about object tracking would suggest to check out this link ..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541be.html#wp1065858

regds

Hi,

In my scenario, what i am looking for is the trunked Gigabit Ethernet port at router is up. But if a particular customer last mile is down which is configured as subinterface on that port, how router will find out that last mile for that particular customer is down.B'coz subinterface line protocol will always be up on gig ethernet interface of router.

Regards

Gaurav

Hi

In this case you can use the simple general NMS software tools like whatsup gold etc., in which you can configure up the remote customer end ip.

These tools uses ICMP packets to poll the devices and once it doesnt get any echo reply it will declare the site or equipments as down.

do revert whether it helps out...

regds

Hi Pream,

This is a scenario of EoMPLS, so no visibility of customer router IP..can we do something on L2?

Cheers

Gaurav

Hi all,

Please let me know if anyone is having idea about this.

Cheers

Gaurav

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi!

Are u using Cisco Switch?If thats it then go to www.cisco.com/go/cna and download cisco network assistant.Its great tool to see which whats happning in the network.

Regards,

JD

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card